The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 23: BoardFree A & E

You know there's something wrong when your foot smells like death. Mine did this morning. Everyone is concerned, I know another forced rest day is approaching but can't bear to face up to it. I tell myself that if I get south of Bristol then I can justify a rest. I can relax with my foot in the air with a sense a reassurance that I've reached Bristol, the final milestone before the journey turns south west towards Land's End. We're over 15 miles north of Bristol and I have to stop fooling myself, I need treatment. We're going to hospital.

Dan drives, I sit up front. Holls and Dim in the back. The scenery is stunning, I have a lump in my throat. I curse shoes, blisters. I curse friction. I curse skateboarding!!!!!

Bristol Royal Infirmary. We organise consent forms to film for the docu. A lovely nurse named Cathryn leads a hobbling me and Dim, Dan and Holls to her cubicle. She asks how she can help. I tell her I'm skating the length of Britain and then show her what that's done to my foot. Dim, Dan and Holls are holding their noses but nursey can't seem to smell the foot. Relief!

She patches up my heel, prescribes antibiotics. Recommends full rest until it heels, but accepts that the clock is ticking on this journey. The pills will kick in within the first three days so I agree to rest until Thursday. She's ok with that. I'm not, secretly. But there's a long term aim to be preserved here, I just hope that two days rest can sort my foot out enough to send me to Land's End without further breaks needed.

Lush Longboards (www.lushlongboards.com) are based in Bristol and we drive to their hideout. My first 4-wheeled board was a Lush Bahari and it's awesome to walk into their distribution house with boards galore hanging off the walls. Rich and the dudes welcome us in and we talk a little about Lush hooking up with BoardFree in some way. This summer, before BoardFree hits Oz, I'm going to be travelling the UK (again!) teaching kids how to longboard. A quiver of Lush boards to help us along would be quality, time will tell.

We drive up to Bristol Parkway and say farewell to Dan. The last of a fine bunch to have said goodbye at the end of an up&down weekend. He trains back to Swansea and my kitten Kiwa as Holls drives the BoardFree Bus to Minehead for two days of rest. We're staying with Holly's Nat's parents, Jo and Rick, at their amazing Primrose Hill Cottages (www.primrosehillholidays.co.uk). All over the place is BoardFree stuff, a notice board in the Games Room covered in t-shirts and leaflets, a leaf in every room's welcome folder. Amazing. Comfortable immediately, I pop an antibiotic, put the foot in an elevated position and start working on the last few week's videos with Dim. Two days of rest from skating maybe, but the BoardFree project lives on.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger Simon Thorpe said…

    Just heard about your feet mate. Hope you're ok. Couple of days rest should do a world of good. Hang in there china.......

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner