The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Day 21: The most fun day yet

It's a day of company today. Nat joins me on Little Elsa. Dan and Becki and Bev (Swansea Uni's Athletic Union Pres!) rock up just after midday. Amazing to see them, crazy that I last saw Dan and Beccles ten miles south of John o'Groats. A split second and an eternity, it's impossible to fathom the distance and experience covered.

We reach Worcester in the early afternoon and my parents appear on their bikes! Amazing! Complete surprise! Typical of them.

We ride on through Worcester, two bikes and two yellow longboards, one blue van, one silver car, one yellow car. A BoardFree troupe. All we need now is Dimitri to turn up with his Mum, stepdad and Kenyan friend Eric. I can't wait. We reach a pub in Callow End and decide to have lunch, a few hundred yards back I skated over the 600 mile mark. Celebrate with a sandwich and a soft drink. It's lovely to pass 600. It's lovely to get south of Worcester.

My right shoe is all gaffer taped up, holding various items of padding onto the worn-out sole. I hobble everywhere. The people who work at the pub must think the others are having a laugh, saying that I'm skating Britain.

Dimitri arrives. Peter and I stand inside the door, cameras at the ready to capture the Lens' return. In comes a complete stranger dressed as Batman, then Robin walks in, a couple of girls, a normally dressed chap, Little Red Riding Hood, a Masai Warrior (seriously!), a wolf man, Dim's mum, then Dim himself. What the HELL is going on!!!!

Dim explains that they're his friends and they've all just arrived from various parts of the country. He sweeps his arms out and knocks over a pint belonging to a local. Welcome back Dim.

We all get on the road, this is great. For 17 miles I'm skating through the countryside between Worcester and Gloucester with Batman and Robin and Little Red Riding Hood. They're all cycling, wolf man has roller skates. The foot is hurting. Dim's stepdad Pete tells me I have to embrace the pain. I agree and on we push.

What a day, the company on the road makes a huge difference, it spurs me on, we go over 30 miles and stop at a layby bang on the 33 mile mark. It's at the top of a hill, I have that to look forward to.

Quick pint in a local pub to celebrate. The landlord and the superheroes donate £70 towards BoardFree. What a day. If anyone else wants to do something similar you're more than welcome!

Everyone heads to Cheltenham for the night, Nat and Holly go south to Nat's mum's. Holl is having a day's rest, damn she deserves it. Dan, Becs, Bev and myself go to a nearby village and stay with a friend of my Dad's. Amazing house, full of gadgets! Good food, comfy bed, it's time for a rest and some painkillers!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    come on dave, your doing well,
    my chest hair is getting thicker and thicker and due to a lovely becki it's getting waxed off in your honour, I can wait for next weekend, it's my birthday and you lot are going to be in cornwall, WAHEY

     
  • At 2:16 pm, Blogger Simon Thorpe said…

    Sounds like you're having a rave matey! Much deserved after such an eventful journey so far. Sorry I cant be there but I cant wait to see you all next weekend. You guys have done amazing. I'm so proud.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner