The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Day 20: Finally away from Telford

The stagnant BFUK pause yesterday was a good thing and a bad thing. Good because we all had a chance to rest. Bad because we didn't go anywhere, the clock was ticking and the miles weren't/ It's time to claim some of them back.

Worcester is a long way away but that's the aim. Foot feels better. Most of the blister on my sole has hardened and for a few miles it's almost painfree, bliss!

But then the hotspots start to work their way back and as the day drags on the minefield underneath my toes starts to burn. A few miles south of Telford Holly and I pass Iron Bridge (Dimitri returned to London this morning for a day, he'll be back tomorrow with a couple of family members). Iron Bridge, funnily enough, is home to an iron bridge. The first ever iron bridge, supposedly. Surrounded by school outings and foreign tourists, Holly and I do a blog, Holly runs to the toilet, runs out of the toilet, loses her shoe, can't find me. Even though I'm filming the whole thing just a few yards away. Brilliant!

Approaching Bridgnorth I break the BFUK speed record, but I really didn't want to. The road disappears into a pit of vegetation, I footdrag to slow the pace but the road is too rough to keep stable with just one foot on the board. I have no choice but to ride it out. Flying down a strange hill which culminates in a bend is terrifying, I have no idea what's around the corner. If it goes down a bit more I'm toast. The road is potholed and Elsa is jumping around all over the place. Please please please make it an uphill. Please!

It was. I'm hyperventilating, looking to the sky to say thanks to whoever forced me to stay on the road and not career into the bushy verge. 29.6 miles an hour. I'm glad I'm alive.

Sam and Jen from SubTV turn up to do some filming, I do a quick interview with the Shropshire Star. Peter (Dimitri's business partner) and his fine lady Melissa turn up too, and we all continue on our merry way. Peter is filming until Dim returns tomorrow, the first thing I notice is that he likes to run a lot!

We pass into Worcestershire and I tell myself I need to find out how many counties BFUK has passed through. 7 miles from Worcester the skies open. I've covered 32 miles, the foot is thumping. A little wet, I call it a day at Ribbesford and we drive back to Bewdley to find a B&B. Nat turns up to make Holly happy. We all eat Tapas in a place called Silva's. Silva himself joins us for a photo op and then treats us to a sombrero each. Guess what we're wearing tomorrow then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner