The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Day 12: Media morning, mum arrives, foot is going to fall off

Holly wakes me up at quarter to 8. An hour later I'm sat in the BBC's Carlisle studio doing an interview on the breakfast show. At the end of it, a person from TV comes in so we do an interview and a few bits and bobs for the lnchtime show. Then I get a call from ITV Borders, and we shoot a good interview and a bit of skating in town.

Don't get on the road until quarter to two, but boy has the media coverage been good. Right foot is in a right state. Every push sends a spark of pain through my body. A lot of those left. Blisters on the toes are bigger than yesterday. I need to get to Kendal.

On a country road just outside of Penrith my mum turns up on her bicycle! It picks me up a bit, we roll into Penrit an have some lunch. Then we navigate out of the town (PS. Please improve signposts to the A6 from the centre) and I plod on. Going is ok, but the day is wearing on thanks to a late start and we need to be at tonight's ost be sevenish.

At a place called Shap we stop in a pub and get them to put the 6 o clock news on. I'm on there! Great little piece, I didn't realise that Kate, the lady who interviewed me in the centre, was actually a co-presenter of the show. At the end everyone in the room cheered. Brilliant.

Push on for twenty minutes more. I'm in absolute agony. 12 miles short of Kendal I pull up. That's it for the day.

We drive to our hosts, a spurious friend of a friend connection had turned into a bed for the night. Charlotte Pople was waiting for us south of Kendal, and so was a lady on a horse at the entrance to the driveway. The place is massive. Compare this to last night, we were in a service station. A strange day, disatisfied in terms of miles covered and my diminishing pain threshold, but amazing media coverage and an aristocratic bout of hospitality at the end of the day. Great hosts, amazing food, good beds, a much needed bath. And today I was inches from crying.

One last thing: for the second time this journey our nightly stop was further along the road than I'd skated. Which means.....I get to see the road before I skate it, horrible. Driving along it seems like hours, skating will seem like days. Tomorrow morning is going to be tough work, the 12 miles into Kendal are mountainous, boy I hope I reach Lancaster.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave, I know this is a bit late, but just wanted to say a big congrats on reaching England! The posters and flyers are getting done for the party in Falmouth - very excited - Si's doing a great job!! Anyway - good luck, and keep smiling, you'll be with us before you know it! Em xx

     
  • At 8:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are well on your way to your target now, how much longer before you are at the 1/2 way stage? Must be close.

    I'm going out hillwalking, planning to cover two munros tomorrow, when I'm in absolute agony from being unfit I'll remind myself that your challenge is much more painful, and lasts a lot longer. :-)

    Keep going, it'll be all over before you know it, then it's time to party and plan for Australia.

     
  • At 9:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave

    It's me Holls Nats Jo.

    It all sounds so incredible..just keep going.

    Remember the saying...Never let the sun go down on your wrath!!!

    With luck this time next week you will be getting towards Taunton..
    From one Mum to another if yours wants to join us at Primrose Hill..just turn up...bike optional!

     
  • At 5:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave, Hol's Nats Jo Here
    did a blog last night..it got lost.
    Hope Nat has joined you by now..you are ALL amazing..I know you are doing the hard work but you all need each other to do this amazing marathon thing.
    We are really looking forward to seeing you all next weekend..If you get behind schedule you are welcome to use us as a stopover until Tuesday morning.

    Keep smiling, keep talking and "never let the sun go down on tyur wroth"!!!!

    See you soon

    Jo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner