The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Day 8: Rain, rain, bugger off...

I open my eyes as an alarm from a neighbouring hotel room goes off. On and on, ber-rrring ber-rrring. Grrrr. Outside little raindrops are hitting the ground. It hasn't rained yet, we've been lucky, but aching legs + rain doesn't make today appealing.

We meet yesterday's skaters at their 'skate park'. Two wooden crates in a supermarket car park. They skate out of town with me for a bit, and wander back up the hill with a BoardFree-VW Magazine mug each for their troubles. Awesome lads - keep me updated on how your fight for a skatepark in Crieff goes!

Progress is wet but fast and we reach Dunblane in less than two hours. Chocolate break, and then I read the map wrong and skate two miles up a hill. The road ends in a field. I'm tired and pissed off. I take it out on Dimitri and Holly. It was my mistake.

Back on the road. Two hours and ten miles of busy busy A roads. A teenager with a red faced leaned out of a car at some point and shouted obscenities at me. Other people played music with their car horns and gave thumbs up.

We finish at Falkirk. Probably not as far as I would have liked - it leaves a lot to do to get to Abington tomorrow - but it had been a hard day. Wet, cold and tired, I jump in the van and we drive to Edinburgh to stay with my friend Kerri. I'm in a mood, Holly's in a mood, Dimitri's in a mood. I hope we all like each other at the end of this.

Lesson of the day: rain makes us moody.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm following every push Dave, you are doing great. You are all entitled to be in a mood from time to time, but just think .... as Holly has been known to say "it'll be reet!" and it's just one more day to get through! Keep on trucking.

     
  • At 11:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been following this from the start, just want to wish you all the best.

    Weather seems to have improved from yesterday, here's hoping you get more rain free days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner