The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Day 3: Dornoch to Inverness, or just north of Inverness

Woke up, packed up. Called media. An hour later and 6 miles down the road the Murray Firth radio news ended with the beautiful words, “Heaven is a long gentle downhill slope for one skateboarder, Dave Corthwaite is currently skating the length of Britain for children’s charities and today will be attempting the stretch between Dornoch and Inverness.”

That was a boost and the early ground was good. But then came the headwind. For hours I battled around the northern edge of the Cromarty Firth, pausing only for a roadside café lunch and an interview with the BBC. Back on the road by 4pm with 18 miles to Inverness still to go, and all I wanted to do was get over the Firth, move inland and out of the headwind. The bridge came nearer and then I looked into the distance to see a long 2-mile uphill drag.

Heartbroken, I waved the van on to avoid holding up traffic and caught up 80 minutes later, having screamed, cursed, snailed and walked towards what seemed like the sky.

Boy I was on my last legs. The aim was to get to ‘Ness but it was way past five with ten miles to go. I felt sick, worried, grumpy and defeated.

Bloody longboards.

A little rest, a moan to the camcorder, a long wistful look down the hill, over the bridge and across the water from where I had come, and it was time for a final push. By half six I had jumped in the van a mile north of the road bridge heading to Inverness. Job done, a couple of miles short of the target, but hopefully tomorrow’s 30 miles to Aviemore will be easier.

Plus, the BBC had promised us that my interview would be on the half six news. We found a sports bar, asked them to change the channel and sat there waiting to cheer. It never came. I shrugged my shoulders, consoled myself with the Murray Firth, BBC Radio and BBC Online coverage we had definitely received, and collapsed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner