The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Sunday, April 30, 2006

So close but so far...

So, the day is here! I've been waiting a year for this, the accumulative mulch of logistical planning, physical training, stressful days when all of the people you contacted for help say no....well, when I got in the car in Swansea on Thursday all of that started to lift from my shoulders. One thing on my mind, skating Britain.

I'm due to start from John o'Groats this morning at 8am, so it may surprise you to learn that it is now 8:40am, and I'm still in Wick, 15 miles south of John o'Groats, because the van won't start.

And it was all going so well! Becki and Si have trundled off to John o'Groats to see if any press have turned up, but it seems that no one is there. It is bank holiday Sunday, after all. Which just means that the mechanic is going to take a bit longer than usual to get here.

So, what can I do but wait. And eat bananas. It's a lovely morning, sharp and clear. Hopefully I'll get skating soon. I'll let you know later on tonight how it all went on from here.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No way dude!
    Dave here - I hope it is sorted soon. The van has been great all week and for it to do this just as you start off is pure bad karma! Did you upset her or something? VW's are sentimental like that.
    Dave

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner