The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Day 17: Why am I not moving?

At quarter to nine I’m on BBC Radio Cumbria, updating my progress to the morning show. We talk about the hills north of Kendal and the blisters on my right foot. They’re going to call up again in a few days, brilliant!

25 miles to Whitchurch. I’m screaming inside, please can someone tell me how to kill blisters overnight! The roads are rough most of the way and the English countryside is gently undulating. The open space at the back of my shoe is now gaffer taped up but the drizzling rain keeps loosening the tape, causing my foot and insole to slip out the back.

I’m so frustrated! Collapse in a pub car park and lie on my front. Holly reapplies my calf tattoos and Kate grabs some drinks. A team from BBC Wales turns up and film for a couple of hours as I roll on south. The rain starts to fall more heavily and a passing man, interested in the van, trips up and falls into a puddle! I don’t see it but later Dimitri shows me the footage, that boy shoots everything!
We have an early evening break in a pub. So tired but another 8 miles to go. Fill up on bangers and mash and scrape up the final leg. I’m exhausted and Whitchurch is a carrot on the end of a string. Bobbing away. Finally we make it. We stay in an amazing place, the best accommodation so far. The Mile Bank Farm is surrounded by fields of cows and sheep. The landlady, Gill, is amazing. Friendly and generous, she appreciates our efforts and makes us feel perfectly at home. Her B&B is spotless, we couldn’t be happier. I have a bath and Gill lends me a footspa. Dim films the spa bubbling away and does a little video blog all about how easy I’ve had it this journey. Hahah. Bed by ten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner