The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Monday, October 16, 2006

A quick update from Adelaide

It's almost bed time at the end of quite a tumultuous two days. Good: Reaching Adelaide, skating through the middle of the city traffic-less early this morning, finally getting a bed to sleep in and a lovely BBQ cooked for the team. Bad: Vehicles breaking down, accomodation nightmares, seemingly endless bad luck. And then, to top of the negative end of the ridiculously unfriendly karma we've been receiving recently, I am jumping into the air with Dim and Dan to pose for a photo and I land on a metal spike. Wearing only my socks (I'd just finished skating and had whipped the shoes off as I always do). Said spike intrudes my left foot. Five hours later I leave the hospital with seven stitches. I'm on crutches. I'm a careful guy. Freak accidents don't happen to me. Until now. Delayed in Adelaide for at least a week, emotions all over the place, hobbling around like a bear with a sore left foot. None of us can understand what we've done wrong. Perhaps an enforced rest is just what we need after travelling 2700km across the outback in seven weeks, on a skateboard!

Check out http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20580984-5006301,00.html
for an article in Adelaide's Sunday Mail today. Will write more tomorrow. For now, its time to rest my head. And foot!

8 Comments:

  • At 1:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dave mate - sorry to hear about your foot. I was chewing my hand when I read this post. Let me know how you're doing dude. Get well that foot!

     
  • At 8:57 am, Blogger Bam Bam said…

    Duuuude! KARMA SUCKS! Kepp it rested dude, and don't do too much when you get going again! thinking of you bro!

    Stay Safe!

    Bam

     
  • At 1:29 pm, Blogger wafflesole said…

    heal fast mate.

    nat

     
  • At 8:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, you are a hero! I am from China and I read your news in one of popular magazine here, so I visited you blog.
    Firstly, so sorry to hear you hurt your foot, take care dear.
    Secondly, as a Chinese girl, I do think, well, in the future when I become rich, I can have enough time and money to help other, but from your story, I know, I may change my mind.
    Will keep eyes on and let us know what's going on.
    Cheers~~~

     
  • At 1:17 pm, Blogger Badger Madge said…

    Oh no! Dave! Poor you. But hey, look on the bright side, scars are cool… Wheatgerm oil will help it fade when the stitches are out, and use vitamin E (or is it C?) cream to stop it from going keloid. The scar queen has spoken.

    Hope you heal soon.
    M xx

     
  • At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave

    Jo from Primrose Hill here.
    Rest up and you will soon be back on the road.

     
  • At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave

    Jo from Primrose Hill here.
    Rest up and you will soon be back on the road.

     
  • At 8:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear the news Dave, just reest up for a while (you've earnt it!) and good luck with the next leg.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner