The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Friday, October 06, 2006

A little town called Kimba

Legs like jelly this morning. A record-breaking 104km push yesterday saw us trawl along the ever-dimishing Eyre Highway between Wudinna and Kimba. Either side of an undulating road the countryside turned vaguely British, sheep and horses stared at me as I glided by and I half expected an olde English pub around every corner. Instead, Dim ran up to me holding a dead lizard by the tail, the driver of a ute tailgating me (yes, ute tailgating skateboard) stuck a chubby middle finger up as I pulled over to let them pass - I nearly hurled my water bottle at the passing goliath. A woman drove by waving a five dollar note out of the window and then panicked as two cars appeared behind her. She threw the note which, being paper, didn't gain any velocity and flapped around in the wind until I caught up with it. I was video blogging at the time and looked at the camera grinning, "apparently word has gotten around that I must be crazy to be doing something like this, too crazy even to talk to."

David Attenborough's audio book 'Life on Air' has kept my left ear company for the past few days. The man has led a fascinating life and today, as I listen in to Disc 8 of 17, he talks about flying to Nairobi with a co-cameraman to film a certain Lioness, who was reared by a German Baroness in northern Kenya and whose subsequent story became known as Born Free. The lioness was called Elsa, and Attenborough recalled the moment when he woke up from a siesta with the hairy, sweaty underside of a big cat's jaw looming over him. "If I had sat up with a joly," he recalled, "my head would have collided with her."

I looked down at Elsa, the one who keeps my feet company everyday and bares the name inspired by this wildly-tame lioness from Kenya, and tapped her with my left toes. "That's my girl," I said, and pushed on.

We are now three days of empty country away from Port Augusta, from there we head south, through Clare's wine valley region (don't get any funny ideas) and into Adelaide. We're barely a week away from there now. Our second city on this board-inspired adventure is fast approaching, and as I write from a small computer library in Kimba, which claims to be Halfway Across Australia, I thank my lucky stars that although the road ahead is a long and tiring one, we are not yet even halfway to Brisbane.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    G'day Dave. I heard you on JJJ today and all I can say is - YOU ROCK!!!!!!!
    Good luck with your journey and I hope you acheive all the goals you set you to do.

    enjoy the rest of OZ. I hope you get a chance to unwind watching the ashes somewhere

    Cheers

    Col

     
  • At 6:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Dave,

    I'm affraid some people here in Australia are real idiots.. they are so blindly stuck following the road rules that they dont dare cross the white line dividing the two sides of the road to go around you despite there being no other cars in sight.

    Then they have a go at you for going too slow.. on a skateboard.

    They really need to do some IQ statistics research down here. I bet the researchers would fine some real gems.

    Good luck with your arduous journey!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner