The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Saturday, October 21, 2006

A blessing in disguise...

I'm at a loss to describe how I'm feeling at the moment. Completely exhausted after a barrage of new challenges to contend with this week, this last week in the city has meant an adjustment of body clocks as we've gone back to latish nights and comparably lazy lie-ins. And by that I mean 8am!

Two months on the road living in each others pockets has driven us all stir crazy. Today, for the first time since Perth, I spent the afternoon away from the rest of the team working on new designs for t-shirts, updating the website, clearing my inbox and planning the route from Adelaide around to Brisbane. The frustration at not being able to get back on the road is tempered by an unsurprising relief at just being able to take things easy. I'm looking forward to getting back on the road but am struggling with the concept of not knowing when that day will come. The stitches and bruising around the gash in my heel is looking messy at the moment - I can only be sensible and make sure there is no threat of reopening the wound before I make the call to skate again.

In the meantime, Brit hurts his foot and everyone wants to talk. I was probably the most bemused out of everybody when the ABC primetime Australia-wide news covered my foot early this week. 20 interviews later I'm delighted at the medica coverage we've received, and slowly but surely as the team swarms through Adelaide with collecting buckets the BoardFree brand is pulling in more donations. Just yesterday we raised over $AUS700, not much in a big city you might think, but try handing out leaflets and asking for donations in a constantly-moving crowd and you realise that it takes a bit of tactical nouse to make city dwellers dip into their pockets.

The rest we're all experiencing has been made all the more pleasurable because of the hospitality of Deirdre and Bob Schahinger, who have made an awkward start in this city a thing of the past. Then there's Chris Riordan, whose cerebal palsy hasn't diminished a quick wit and humble, realistic nature which is going to send him through to the next Paralympic Games as a shining example of exactly what Sailability is capable of achieving. Chris is an inspiration. Sitting with him the other day in Mitcham, Adelaide, he asked me what kept me going when my legs were tired and the sun was beating down and the road was rough. And I struggled to tell him. Drive can't always be explained. Chris is focusing on the mental challenge that lies ahead as he prepares to go for gold. He says, "if we walked down the road and back again I would use ten times the energy that you would, I need to find out what I need to do, how I need to think." He isn't the type of guy who enters for the sake of entering, I'll be watching him all the way to Kuala Lumpur and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes away with a medal.

So, because of Chris, Deirdre, Bob and the countless other people who have appeared in Adelaide to support us, we'll soon be pushing on towards the coast and then around it. The delay means some long long days of catch-up are ahead of us. We're talking weeks of 80km plus days, roads littered with traffic which is now going to be heavy and viscous. They said the Nullarbor was impossible, rubbish. We've done the easy part, luckily we've been given the chance to rest before the hard graft kicks in.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave, just read today's blog and I have to say that even though your injury may have been unfortunate, I think there has been a silver lining to that cloud. You are all doing an awesome job but I am sure being in such close confines can be somewhat daunting. The enforced rest period (relatively speaking) will do you all good and allow you to get back in touch with civilization and yourselves. Hope you heal fast and continue on your way with rested body and refreshed heart. God Bless, stay safe.

     
  • At 2:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Enjoy" the rest...and tell that Holl to getin touch.
    Jo

     
  • At 6:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I heard about your skate-trip in Down Under - crazy! I was twice in Australia (~8 months), but always drove around by car;-) Now I found your site and had to read about your injury... wish you GOOD LUCK! And what's your final destination? Sydney? Or are you heading further north to Cairns?! Good luck for your "adventure"! Ciao from Italy, Wenz

     
  • At 6:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I heard about your skate-trip in Down Under - crazy! I was twice in Australia (~8 months), but always drove around by car;-) Now I found your site and had to read about your injury... wish you GOOD LUCK! And what's your final destination? Sydney? Or are you heading further north to Cairns?! Good luck for your "adventure"! Ciao from Italy, Wenz

     
  • At 12:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?

    I was first told this story by my yoga teacher many years ago, but have heard lots of other versions since. It helps me a lot when things seem to go bad for absolutely no reason I can fathom….

    An old farmer worked his farm, with his only son, and one horse to pull the plough. One day, a herd of wild horses came through the valley and the farmer’s horse ran away with them. The farmer’s neighbours were horrified… they said “What bad luck! How will you manage to plough your fields without a horse?”. But the farmer said “Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?”

    Sometime later, the farmer’s horse returned to the farm, bringing with him some of the wild horses. The farmer’s son managed to catch the wild horses. The neighbours said “What good luck! You’ll be able to sell the horses at the market! You'll be rich” But the farmer said “Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?”.

    The farmer’s son tried to ride one of the wild horses, but was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbours said “What dreadful luck! How will you manage the farm without your son’s help?” And the farmer said… (you’ve probably got the hang of this now, eh?)

    The next week, the army arrived in the valley and took away all the able-bodied young men to fight in a war far away. But they left the farmer’s son behind, because of his broken leg…

    You can take this story any way you like. I choose to take it to mean that you can never know the end of the story. In any case, I wish you well and hope very much that you find the next bit of “good” luck very soon.

    With much respect for you and your team.

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Dave, before you get back on the road, where are the T-Shirt designs?

    Cheers, Juergen Hagedorn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner