The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The funny little things in life

I'm buying a mobile phone charger in Swansea city centre. An enthusiastic assistant takes a good look at Elsa and screws his face up in thought. "I'm sure I've heard about you before," he says, pointing at my board, "don't you have one big calf because you skateboarded around Australia?"
"I guess you could say that, mate," I smile at him. Then, just as I thought the moment was over the man said something which summed up why the government doesn't let certain people have passports.
"Woah," he grinned, a bit too insanely for my liking. "I'm not surprised your legs are so big with lions chasing you all the time."
I looked at him, trying to work out whether he was serious. It didn't take much to realise he was, the blankness in his eyes gave it away.
"Cheers for the charger, mate," I thanked him, and left very very quickly.

In London last week, I scoured the Metro for something juicy. I found it. At the back end of the news there was a picture story about a bizarre looking device called the AquaSkipper. Shaped like an oversize, ungainly bike, it had specially designed hydrofoils at the end of its 'legs' which enabled it to 'bounce'or 'aquaskip' over the water. What caught my attention, though, was the fact that there was no motor involved, it took the skill of a single rider to pump the machine along. 'Here's something a bit special,' I thought to myself. 'Wonder whether I could cross the Channel on one of these?'
A few days later, this morning, to be precise, I wrote to Duncan McDonald who imports AquaSkippers into the UK. 'I've recently aquired a taste for the unusual,' I told him, 'could I possibly have a test run with an AquaSkipper?'
We spoke a few hours later. Watch this space.

Post BoardFree plans are starting to come together, although definite details won't be confirmed until the first week of March. I'm crossing my fingers regarding the book, visit Germany in 10 days for rollsrolls business and am a couple of days away from launching a website which will be the online base for an upcoming speaking tour. Finally, for now, the BoardFree homecoming party will see a few team members come together on Wednesday 28th Feb, for what will hopefully be a big fundraiser at Swansea's Sin City club. Oh, and listen in to BBC Radio 2 on Sunday afternoon at about a quarter to five GMT. I'm on the Johnnie Walker show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner