The Why Not? Blog

At the tender age of 25 Dave started skateboarding. 14 months later he became the first person to skate the length of Britain. Another 8 months on he had crossed Australia on his board, breaking a world record & raising over £20,000 for three charities. Now, at 27, he's writing his first book, is a motivational speaker and a businessman, and he's only just gotten started on a lifetime of challenges which from the outside look just darn crazy. So, why? You know the answer, don't you. Why not?

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Putting my calf where my mouth is...

Weather: Mild, too warm to skate with a hoodie on. Light breeze.
Miles skated: 12
Pasta meals eaten: 1

I started training yesterday. 12 miles on the clock. Headwinds suck. Weather was conspiring against me. I skate in three directions from Swansea to Mumbles around the bay and the wind was always in my face. And on the way back. How is that possible? Was shattered by the end of it. Comforted by the knowledge that I haven't done much distance skating this year, boy is that going to change. Decide to invite other people to skate from Swansea to Mumbles and back and then tell a camera how they feel.

This morning fought alarm for ten minutes. Body ached after yesterday, last thing I want to do is skate. Gave in to alarm. Checked emails. Fed cat. Skated 12 miles. Right calf a little sore but feel much better at the end of today's run than I did at the end of yesterday's. Sunday is a rest day. Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday next week just 12 miles each day with some switch training chucked in. Then on Friday 16th the bar is raised to 24 miles per day. And so on until I'm doing 48 miles a day for the three weeks before BFUK. Horrifying thought right now. Not as horrifying as the journey itself. Strangely, despite my twinging calf and occassional panting, I know it's all on schedule. Can't wait until John o'Groats. And you just know the wind is going to be gusting northwards up the Scottish coast on Day 1. Pesky wind.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 pm, Blogger wafflesole said…

    Well done mate! Its seems like it's all going to plan. The worst bit, I reckon, is going to be getting up in the morning. Lucky you have a rest day tomorrow, looks like snow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Dave's Blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner